Size limit

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Size limit

New postby dmajm on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 pm

Was going to listen to a mp3 audio book Outlander by Diana Gabaldon which is just over 32 hours with a file size of 1.31 GB. Podtrapper sees the file size correctly but the time is just under 3 hours, which messes everything up. If I break the mp3 into two files it sees them correctly so I was wondering if podtrapper has a file size/time limit.
dmajm

Re: Size limit

New postby marwatk on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:15 pm

Not that I can think of off the top of my head, I'll check it out in the code though during the next release cycle.

Out of curiousity, what does the BB media player show?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby dmajm on Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:52 pm

BB Media Player shows it as 1963 min. in the list view but when you play it with BB Media Player it shows up as 2 hours 53 min 28 sec . Itunes and Roxio shows the file as 898mb and play time of 32 hours 43 min 03 sec. Podtrapper shows the file as 898mb and a play time of 2 hours 53 min 28 sec.

So in one place BB Media Player sees the time correctly but in another place is wrong. Prodtrapper follows suite so don't know if it is something I am doing wrong or if BB Storm can not handle such a long file.
dmajm

New postby marwatk on Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:05 pm

If BBMP is doing the same thing there's not going to be much PT can do to help unfortunately (since it uses BBMP internally).

Do you have any other files longer than 2 hrs 52 min? I'd be interested to see if that's a hard limit. I'll try it from my side as well...

Also, if you play it on the desktop, are you able to seek past that point?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby dmajm on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Put a couple books on bb

book 1: 14 hours 51 min. 16 sec. shows up correctly on podtrapper
book 2: 15 hours 38 min. 24 sec. shows up as 43 min. 36 sec. on podtrapper
book 3: 16 hours 26 min. 16 sec. shows up as 1 hour 31 min. 28 sec. on podtrapper

So it appears when you go over, I'm assuming bb's limit it shows the amount of time over it's limit. it must only be able go to 14 hours 54 min 48 sec. Dont' know what any of this means I just find it interresting.
dmajm

New postby marwatk on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Well, that's annoying.

It's definitely an overflow somewhere, but I have no clue what the significance of that length is.

14 h 54m 48s = 53688s
The internal BBMP records time in uSec, so that's 53,688,000,000 usec, which, assuming it's signed is somewhere around 37 bits. Given that it's using a long (64 bits), there should be no issue...

Oh well, I guess I'll chalk it up to more BBMP weirdness.

If I ever get a contact over at RIM this will be on my list.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby WillDeStijl on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:11 am

How about the option to split files that large into two? At least on the desktop app if not easy to do on the BB.

It's probably an exceedingly rare enough issue to be super-low priority, though.
WillDeStijl

New postby marwatk on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi Will,

Up to this point I've tried really hard to be media agnostic (not dealing with any format specific issues). Once I decide to dive into dealing with various format issues I have to worry about all sorts of stuff I'd rather not deal with (patent issues, licensing, etc).

Splitting files would be an area where I'd have to do that (it would require decoding the file, splitting it, then re-encoding it), so unless some other reason forces me to go that route (like enhanced podcasting) it's unlikely it'll ever happen.

Let's just hope RIM sees the long file issue and fixes it from their end :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby tkeatts on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:12 pm

Any updates on the status of this problem. It is also affecting me too.
tkeatts

New postby marwatk on Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:11 pm

I got an update from RIM that they finally fixed the bug, but it will likely be OS 5.0.0.800+ before we see it hit real devices...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help