Problems With One Podast - MLB.com Fantasy 411

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Problems With One Podast - MLB.com Fantasy 411

New postby otaku91 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:53 pm

First off, I would like to thank the developers of Podtrapper. I love the program. It has completely replaced the BB Media Player for me.

Anyway, I am having an issue with one particular podcast. It is the MLB.com Fantasy 411. The address is http://mlb.mlb.com/feed/podcast/c1265860.xml.

The album art is displayed when I search for the podcast using the directory in Podtrapper, but it's not displayed in the list of podcasts. Also, the description of individual episodes are not displayed.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.
otaku91

Re: Problems With One Podast - MLB.com Fantasy 411

New postby diffused on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi there. I have an 8330 with OS 4.3. I have downloaded your PC and all seems to be fine. They play fine, I have no thumbnail showing and on the playscreen, all the descriptions are there except Length and Summary.
diffused~

BOLD TOUCH 9930 O.S. 7.1.0.342
diffused

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:17 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for letting me know, I'll check this out tomorrow and see what I can find.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby otaku91 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:52 pm

Is it possible to completely uninstall and reinstall Podtrapper? Before the update to version 2.0, the descriptions for the episodes showed correctly. When I delete the program from the advance options menu, restart, delete the Podtrapper directory on the media card and reinstall the program from the web, my registration and settings are all present in the new installation. I would like to make sure that current installation is not a problem, but I am not sure how to completely remove the program.

By the way I have an 8330 running OS 4.5 on Verizon Wireless.

Thanks.
otaku91

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:22 pm

You can use the 'Reset saved data' setting from the General settings screen (could be storage, but I think it's general). That will wipe everything but the registration data.

That won't help this issue, though. The problem is that podcast is publishing their feed wrong. (Warning, severely technical content ahead...)

They're publishing their content using the itunes xml namespace, as they should, but they're publishing it like this:
xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/DTDs/Podcast-1.0.dtd"

Note that DTDs and Podcast are capitalized. The official, correct namespace (see here) is this:
xmlns:itunes="http://www.itunes.com/dtds/podcast-1.0.dtd"

With the lowercase versions of the namespaces. This will break every podcatcher as far as I know. (You can actually test this in firefox: if you open up that feed you won't see a thumbnail, whereas any other feeds you'll see the thumbnail, even though they're putting them in the same tag).

I can add a fix to make this work (even though it's incorrect) in the next PodTrapper release, but I just wanted to let you know why there was a problem.

Ideally you could email them (The email they publish is podcasts[at]website.mlb.com ) and let them know they have an issue, but I'm not sure you'll get a response.

Hope this helps.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby otaku91 on Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Thanks Marcus, I posted a comment on the show's blog attempting to track down a technical contact.

One more quick question. Is it possible to manually set artwork for podcasts that do not automatically include it?
otaku91

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:15 pm

No, not possibly manually, though maybe that'll make it in eventually (for audio books this would be handy).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help