"Preserved" toggle

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

"Preserved" toggle

New postby scloughley on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:07 pm

1. I have one podcast that I want to listen to repeatedly, and all others are set to delete automatically when complete.
The L toggle worked, but the podcast was bumped out of the Playlist that I've set up. How can I have it such that a podcast is not deleted upon completion, but also that it stays in the playlist?

2. Is there a way to mark this podcast to always be preserved - in other words all podcasts are deleted when listened to except a specific podcast? That is, override the general rule with one specific to a podcast?

3. Finally, can a podcast in a playlist be rendered "inactive" - is there a toggle to switch it on and off? There are some podcasts that I won't want to get an update from for certain times of the year, yet I don't want to delete them and have to re-add them later.

Thanks
scloughley

Re: "Preserved" toggle

New postby marwatk on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi there,

scloughley wrote:1. I have one podcast that I want to listen to repeatedly, and all others are set to delete automatically when complete.
The L toggle worked, but the podcast was bumped out of the Playlist that I've set up. How can I have it such that a podcast is not deleted upon completion, but also that it stays in the playlist?

Hmm, that's not possible currently. Definitely something I can solve though. Can you describe the reasoning for wanting to keep it in the playlist? Would something like a 'Preserved Episode List' solve the problem? Thanks for any details on what you're trying to achieve.

scloughley wrote:2. Is there a way to mark this podcast to always be preserved - in other words all podcasts are deleted when listened to except a specific podcast? That is, override the general rule with one specific to a podcast?

I actually have it on my todo list to make 'Delete after listening' a podcast specific setting, so this should be possible soon.

scloughley wrote:3. Finally, can a podcast in a playlist be rendered "inactive" - is there a toggle to switch it on and off? There are some podcasts that I won't want to get an update from for certain times of the year, yet I don't want to delete them and have to re-add them later.

For this you should be able to set a podcast's "Max to auto-download" setting to zero. The podcast itself will keep updating (though you can set the update interval to a long period or even to manual), but no new episodes will be downloaded. Is that what you're looking for?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby scloughley on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:31 am

marwatk wrote:Hi there,

scloughley wrote:1. I have one podcast that I want to listen to repeatedly, and all others are set to delete automatically when complete.

Hmm, that's not possible currently. Definitely something I can solve though. Can you describe the reasoning for wanting to keep it in the playlist? Would something like a 'Preserved Episode List' solve the problem? Thanks for any details on what you're trying to achieve.

Maybe if I explain why it will be clearer. I am learning French but the publishing of new episodes is very sporadic (sometimes weekly, sometimes every 2-3 weeks). For times when the episode update rate is low (such as during summer or over Christmas) I want to keep the last one so I can stay fresh with my learning - there is so much in each podcast that repeated listenings are always worthwhile. Then when the next one finally comes out, I can manually delete the one I've been listening to for the previous 2-3 weeks. Since I work primarily via Playlist, I want the last episode of this one language podcast to be always kept on there (until I manually delete it).
By the way, the podcast that I preserved with "L" does not get put back into the Playlist if I select "Add to playlist" option on the dropdown for that specific episode. In other words, having "Preserved" the episode I can see no way to get it back into the Playlist, not even manually. A bug?

scloughley wrote:2. Is there a way to mark this podcast to always be preserved - in other words all podcasts are deleted when listened to except a specific podcast? That is, override the general rule with one specific to a podcast?

I actually have it on my todo list to make 'Delete after listening' a podcast specific setting, so this should be possible soon.

Hmmm, to avoid having to set this for the 99% of podcasts that I do wish to have automatically deleted, would it not be better to have the obverse as the feature "Retain after listening", which I would then apply to only one of the 15-20 podcasts I listen to?

scloughley wrote:3. Finally, can a podcast in a playlist be rendered "inactive" - is there a toggle to switch it on and off? There are some podcasts that I won't want to get an update from for certain times of the year, yet I don't want to delete them and have to re-add them later.

For this you should be able to set a podcast's "Max to auto-download" setting to zero. The podcast itself will keep updating (though you can set the update interval to a long period or even to manual), but no new episodes will be downloaded. Is that what you're looking for?

Yes it is, thank you.
scloughley

New postby marwatk on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:05 pm

scloughley wrote:By the way, the podcast that I preserved with "L" does not get put back into the Playlist if I select "Add to playlist" option on the dropdown for that specific episode. In other words, having "Preserved" the episode I can see no way to get it back into the Playlist, not even manually. A bug?

Kind of. The playlist will automatically remove anything added to it that's marked as 95+% listened. If you go in to an episode and use the |< or 'Reset playback' it should allow you to re-add it to the podcast. The purpose here is to not add things to the playlist you've already listened to when you're adding lots of stuff at a time.

scloughley wrote:Hmmm, to avoid having to set this for the 99% of podcasts that I do wish to have automatically deleted, would it not be better to have the obverse as the feature "Retain after listening", which I would then apply to only one of the 15-20 podcasts I listen to?

It'll be in both places still, the podcast setting will be for overriding the global setting.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to General Discussion