version checking doesnt seem to work

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

version checking doesnt seem to work

New postby edzzik on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:32 pm

What is the time interval of the version checker? Every time a new version comes out, even if I wait a few days to upgrade, podtrapper never alerts me of the new version. It would be nice if it checked once a day, or had a manually check now option. Also, does it automatically upgrade when it works, or does the user still have to browse to the site manually? If we have to do it manually, can you add the ota url to the "new version available" alert?

Thanks,
Ed
edzzik

Re: version checking doesnt seem to work

New postby marwatk on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Hi Ed,

24 hours is the interval. (Which seems kind of wrong at this point, since I have podcasts updating every hour).

I think the issue is that if the update check happens while you're out of coverage, it still waits another 24 hours before it tries again. (I'm on wifi, so that's probably why I never caught it). At least that's my guess. I'll check it out and fix it in the next version. Of course, you won't be notified of it, heh ;)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby edzzik on Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Hey,

The download of the program over 3g is very fast. I think it should check at your current interval, but it should check over any available connection, regardless of my podcast settings (which are set to download over wifi only)

-Ed
edzzik

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:11 pm

I'm hesitant to bypass the settings set up in the Settings screen for anything, since I know that I personally disable downloading when I'm overseas, so that I don't get billed tremendous amounts. So I'd rather it not be my app that causes someone's 4+ figure phone bill :)

I did, though, add some code to make this work a little better, let me know if it still doesn't work for you.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby drmrbrewer on Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:41 am

I have the setting to download podcasts only over wifi. Thing is, I only have a regular wifi connection at home, and not at work. So if your update signal goes out every time when I'm at work, I won't get any automatic updates (at least, not during the working week). Personally, I'm happy for application upgrades to happen over the data connection -- but maybe not without asking first -- with podcast downloads only over wifi as a rule. Even just a manual "upgrade over any available connection" button somewhere would be enough.

Can you just install the latest version on top of the previous version by downloading it from the usual place?

Mike
drmrbrewer

New postby ag5bpilot on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:47 am

FWIW, for every upgrade PRIOR to 1.5.5 Podtrapper notified me that there was a new update available. I didn't get the notification this time, so I just downloaded it manually.
Mike
ag5bpilot

New postby drmrbrewer on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:52 am

You just download from the place you downloaded it first time? All settings are maintained?

Mike
drmrbrewer

New postby ag5bpilot on Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:00 am

Correct.
Mike
ag5bpilot

Return to Bugs and help