Anyway to boost the sound level?

Anything that isn't a bug or feature request goes here

Anyway to boost the sound level?

New postby 3rdpig on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:19 pm

I'm having a tough time hearing some of the podcasts I like. In a quiet room they're fine, but outside when working, or when driving down the freeway (in my admittedly noisy Jeep) I can't hear them. The sound setting in the BB is at max and it's maxed in my BT headset as well. Is there anyway to boost the sound volume in Podtrapper? I've bought a good pair of wired earabuds too, but it's still not loud enough. And I'm not hard of hearing!
3rdpig

Re: Anyway to boost the sound level?

New postby marwatk on Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:49 pm

Sadly no. A few podcasts record at very low levels, which means that full volume isn't really full. I talked with RIM about getting access to the volume boost feature, but no luck yet.

Sorry I don't have a better answer there...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby 3rdpig on Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:17 pm

marwatk wrote:Sadly no. A few podcasts record at very low levels, which means that full volume isn't really full. I talked with RIM about getting access to the volume boost feature, but no luck yet.

Sorry I don't have a better answer there...

-Marcus

Not your fault. Keep us posted on the Android version of Podtrapper. I'm already pretty annoyed with RIM, I haven't been able to log into AppWorld to reinstall my paid apps since I upgraded to the official 5.0 from VZ and apparently they're not going to do anything about it.

Since my phone is first and foremost a business tool, and since I sync calendar/contacts and email with Google, a switch to an Android phone might be in my future. I'll have no regrets at all saying "buh-bye" to RIM.
3rdpig

New postby cadzilla74 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:03 pm

Using my Bluetooth Stereo MotoROKR headphones I've had good luck with podcasts that would otherwise be hard to hear. Turning the volume on the Storm up all the way and then turning up the volume on the headphones can almost always get things loud enough to hear in a noisy environment. These are LOUD headphones to start with. Almost painful to listen to Slacker or a high-quality (minimum 128 bit mp3) at full-volume. Not all headsets have enough independent amplification to really boost a weak output from your BB.

The only alternative, if you really like a certain Podcast and it is always undermodulated ... use the Podtrapper Desktop app, download the podcasts to your PC and then use some Audio Mastering software to increase the output volume on the file and save it. I know, pain in the butt, but if the source is weak there's not much else you can do but enhance it before playing it back.
<HTC Thunderbolt/Gingerbread and Motorola Droid 3/Gingerbread - Verizon - PodTrapper 3.0.21> - <HoneyDew 2.0.6 HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid 3>
cadzilla74

New postby arkolbus on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:13 am

cadzilla74 wrote:\The only alternative, if you really like a certain Podcast and it is always undermodulated ... use the Podtrapper Desktop app, download the podcasts to your PC and then use some Audio Mastering software to increase the output volume on the file and save it. I know, pain in the butt, but if the source is weak there's not much else you can do but enhance it before playing it back.

You're right in principle, but the Podtrapper Desktop Downloader doesn't actually download the files to your PC. The desktop downloader only acts like a router, the files are still only available on the BB.

If you want to download the files to your computer for audio editing, you can just open up the feed URL in your desktop browser, and download the relevant file. The feed URL is available in the podcast settings within PT.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby cadzilla74 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks for clarifying that. Yes, you would need to subscribe to the feed via your PC directly. Then modify the file and copy it to your BB SD card.
<HTC Thunderbolt/Gingerbread and Motorola Droid 3/Gingerbread - Verizon - PodTrapper 3.0.21> - <HoneyDew 2.0.6 HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid 3>
cadzilla74

New postby bill724 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:46 am

If your main issue is in the car, get an FM modulator from Crutchfield (or similar retailer) that hardwires into your car. Then you'll get all the volume you'll need. Won't help for working outside, but that fixed the challenge for me in an open convertible. In fact a recent Crackberry podcast was almost impossible to hear on my BlackBerry, so I intentionally put off listening to it until I was in the car and could really crank it up. Just a thought.

- Bill.
bill724

Return to General Discussion