PodTrapper and Blackberry Media Player

Got an idea for an improvement? Post it here.
Forum rules
Use the topics below to discuss existing feature requests for PodTrapper.

Click here to add a new feature request, view the existing requested features, and vote for your favorites

PodTrapper and Blackberry Media Player

New postby ammonsd on Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:52 am

The PodTrapper player is certainly adequate enough, but I would also like the ability to use the BB Storm Media Player (mainly for creating a play list before heading to the airport). Unfortunately, when PodTrapper downloads an episode, it does not capture the catalog details until the episode has been started, making it invisible to the media player. So my feature request would be to have PodTrapper properly catalog new episodes, making them visible to the media player without the need to start and stop each new episode (which I need to do today).
ammonsd

Re: PodTrapper and Blackberry Media Player

New postby marwatk on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:24 pm

Hi ammonsd,

One of my design goals was to have the files not show up in the media player (I generally like to use my media player to shuffle songs, and having a 45 minute podcast show up in there is annoying for me :) ). What I can do, though, is add a setting to let the files show up in the media player, then you could manage them like any other media on the device.

Additionally, I plan to get playlist support working in podtrapper, so hopefully we'll solve it from two angles :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ammonsd on Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:20 am

The new functionality works great! I still use the PodTrapper player for my longer Podcast, which is about 98% of my downloads, because of the bookmarking. But for the shorter, hourly Podcast, like NPR news, the Media Player is easier because it plays the short episodes in sequence. Of course, a playlist option would certainly take care of that issue.

BTW, PodTrapper has been working perfectly with my new Storm and has become my favorite Blackberry application. I love not being dependant on my notebook to be up-to-date on Podcasts. Nice work.
ammonsd

New postby mike240s on Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:59 pm

wow you are really doing awesome with this software. so basically this means i can download a podcast and then transfer it to my nav in my car using bluetooth? basically i am wondering if the podcast will be in a standard format playable by all players? is it mp3 format?
mike240s

New postby marwatk on Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi Mike,

It depends on the podcast, sometimes they're mp3's, sometimes aac, sometimes video. A car stereo should be able to play any audio that the blackberry can, though.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 pm

FYI, playlists are now in 1.5.0.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby JHAY on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:05 pm

I LOVE the new feature that allows the Podcasts to be viewable via the Blackberry Media Player (I own a Bold). However, what would be even more awesomer is the ability to save/categorize these files using ID3 or a similar mechanism. Right now (and correct me if I'm wrong) I just see "Unknown Artist - Unknown Album - 1_100", which isn't very helpful. Creating a folder structure so that the media player can easily distinguish between files would be great.

Keep up the awesome work!
JHAY

New postby marwatk on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi,

The issue there is that the media player clumps everything in to a structure based on the id3 tags (unless they've changed that behavior on the bold/storm). I can't write id3 tags on the blackberry, since they don't provide a random access file mechanism (well, I could, but it would be very difficult), so when displaying the files in the BB media player we're pretty much limited to what the author of the podcast included in the file.

I could definitely add a directory structure to the podcast storage, but I'm not sure it would help the bb media player aspects.

Hope this helps,

Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Feature requests