VT.16 Homescreen Shortcuts-- permissions on OS5 Tour

VT.16 Homescreen Shortcuts-- permissions on OS5 Tour

New postby Quempas on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi again.
I am able to get the (VT .16) homescreen shortcuts to work on my Tour, OS 5.0.0.419 (which I see is now an "official" release).
However-- I must go into each module's permissions, set to "deny", then set to the (top, bold) allow setting. The built in popup offers to set permissions for me, but it never does so. So each time I select a homescreen shortcut (before I do the above manual permission changes) I just get the popup that offers to change permissions for me. Note that my default module setting is set to "allow".

Once I have changed permissions manually, the shortcut works.

Also, as others have observed on other platforms:
1. the name of the shortcut remains "launcher x"
2. the icon for sending an SMS remains the ugly default BB icon (looks like an old DOS C:).

Thanks!
Quempas

Re: VT.16 Homescreen Shortcuts-- permissions on OS5 Tour

New postby marwatk on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Thanks for the report! I'll see if I can duplicate this in .411 (the latest they've released a simulator for). Are you running under an IT policy?

Also, a few questions (want to see if I can optimize the process at all)
Are you able to do it for all currently installed launchers at once by editing the app permissions (assuming you've said no to the prompt per-launcher)? Or does it make you do separately for each launcher? Do the launcher modules show up under VersaTool?

I haven't figured out why the default permissions don't apply, I'm still investigating.

Does the name stay that way even after a reboot?

The SMS thing I'm working out, launching built-in apps doesn't currently load their icon properly. It's a todo on my list.

Thanks, again. Answers to these will help me track it down.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Quempas on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Glad to help. See my responses, below. BTW, I'm now on the new VT 1.10. My responses are for this new version.
Thanks for the report! I'll see if I can duplicate this in .411 (the latest they've released a simulator for). Are you running under an IT policy?NO

Also, a few questions (want to see if I can optimize the process at all)
Are you able to do it for all currently installed launchers at once by editing the app permissions (assuming you've said no to the prompt per-launcher)?
Just tried this, and it WORKS! I set the VT APP permissions (not its module permissions) to DENY, then saved. Selected "Reboot later" when prompted. Then I went back in and set the VT permissions to ALLOW and saved. I did not reboot, but my shortcut worked-- it did not ask to change permissions, and did assume the correct title and icon after its first use. All without a reboot!Or does it make you do separately for each launcher? No-- but I do have to repeat the above process each time I add a new launcher module. Do the launcher modules show up under VersaTool? Yes

I haven't figured out why the default permissions don't apply, I'm still investigating. I've seen it before, I think with MeterBerry. I think that Tour OS 5.0.0.419 is quirky that way. But carriers are now releasing it, so it'll be around a while.

Does the name stay that way even after a reboot?Yes, the names, icons, and function survive a reboot. I relaunched my 1.6 icons after upgrading, which produced duplicate modules in the modules list. The relaunched icons still needed the permission changes outlined above. BTW, take a picture and menus now work great as well. TAP makes a funny mosaic of images in the background after taking a pic, but hitting the escape key takes care of it. Best wishes!

The SMS thing I'm working out, launching built-in apps doesn't currently load their icon properly. It's a todo on my list.

Thanks, again. Answers to these will help me track it down.

-Marcus
Quempas

New postby marwatk on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Cool, with that I think I can revamp it so that if you reinstall everything it'll only ask you at the end (though for tour you'd still need to go in and toggle it, since it won't save the first time).

Let me know if you run into any other issues.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help