0.1.12 - weather bug

0.1.12 - weather bug

New postby mrcoyote on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:02 pm

I'm configured for Celcius, but the home screen weather icon is showing in Fahrenheit.

Got that "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" feeling yet? One of the reasons I haven't been doing any programming in a long time now, lol.
mrcoyote

Re: 0.1.12 - weather bug

New postby skipcuda on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:13 pm

9550 (.320) V .1.12 If I launch from the VT home screen the weather will work fine and the updates seem to work. I set it as a 'Dbl Escape' Convenient key and when I try to run it from there, I got a white screen stating "no data" on the top, and "updating" on the bottom. After it tried loading for a while I got an alert "uncaught exception: Application VersaTool (168) is not responding: process terminated". When I tried to use the other Conv. keys, they did not respond. After a battery pull I changed the city, all keys worked, tried the Dbl for weather and the exact same thing happened again.
skipcuda

New postby marwatk on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:34 pm

mrcoyote wrote:I'm configured for Celcius, but the home screen weather icon is showing in Fahrenheit.

Can you edit the home screen icon and see if it's configured for F in there? (Each weather app has it's own setting, though I'll be making it global soon).

mrcoyote wrote:Got that "running around like a chicken with its head cut off" feeling yet? One of the reasons I haven't been doing any programming in a long time now, lol.

Heh, sort of. I really need to invest in a Storm and a CDMA curve, then I think it would be much less stressful because I could actually see all the whacky things a CDMA device does in person.

skipcuda wrote:9550 (.320) V .1.12 If I launch from the VT home screen the weather will work fine and the updates seem to work. I set it as a 'Dbl Escape' Convenient key and when I try to run it from there, I got a white screen stating "no data" on the top, and "updating" on the bottom. After it tried loading for a while I got an alert "uncaught exception: Application VersaTool (168) is not responding: process terminated". When I tried to use the other Conv. keys, they did not respond. After a battery pull I changed the city, all keys worked, tried the Dbl for weather and the exact same thing happened again.

Thanks, probably a race condition in there, will get it fixed.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby mrcoyote on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:19 pm

marwatk wrote:
mrcoyote wrote:I'm configured for Celcius, but the home screen weather icon is showing in Fahrenheit.

Can you edit the home screen icon and see if it's configured for F in there? (Each weather app has it's own setting, though I'll be making it global soon).

I double checked and the home screen icon is definitely set to C

However... I had the one within the VT "select a tool" screen set to F - changing it to C gives me a correct icon within VT (showing C temps) - perhaps the launcher icon was getting it's info from the "within VT" version?

I set both to C readouts, so I'm just waiting to see if the homescreen/launcher icon will change now (any way to expedite this process? that's another 'quirk' - when I reboot, it seems to take quite a while for the icon to change from the BB default/blank icon).
mrcoyote

New postby mrcoyote on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Just noticed this weather 'bug/quirk' too..

the homescreen icon is the forecasted icon - I kind of expected it to be the 'current conditions' icon. (I realize you were going to possibly add current temp too) - but again, I assumed the homescreen icon would/should be of the current conditions.
mrcoyote

New postby marwatk on Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:52 pm

I wasn't sure what to do here. When you're looking for the weather, what's the typical use case? For me it's what to wear the morning, so I don't particular care what the current conditions are, I'd prefer to see the forecast for today. But I'm just one person, so what does everyone else use it for?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:22 am

Both my weather location and my homescreen icon are set to Celsius, but I still see the temperature in F°.

In my experience, weather apps show the current condition, but it would be interesting to be given the choice, because it does make sense to be able to see what the day is going to be like.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:36 pm

This should be fixed in .13, weather settings are global now (along with the update interval). I'm still thinking on how I want to handle the icon issue. It'll likely be configurable, but I'm not sure what the options will be yet.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby skipcuda on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:53 am

9550 (.320) V1.13 The weather is not a problem, all is working great here. Hopefully everyone else has the same luck.
skipcuda

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Great! 0.1.14 brings customization abilities as well (current vs forecast, choosing where and what temps to show, etc).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help