download number

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Auto Download, I just don't get it

New postby fonewiz on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:06 pm

OK, so first I want to say that Podtrapper is a great product and hats off to the developer for creating a great app.

Because I love it so much I want to either understand or ask for a fix of the auto download feature if in fact it's not quite right.

Here is my understanding or take on what should happen when you set a particular podcast's auto-download option to "1":

It should go out and grab exactly 1 episode (probably the latest) and NOT download anymore until ___________.....????

So, yeah, I don't really have the answer as to what goes in the blank above but it just seems odd the way it works now. For example, I have one particular Podcast set to auto download "1" and have not manually downloaded anything yet I have like 16 episodes already downloaded. It seems like it goes out and downloads each new episode as it finds them.

I don't know, maybe this is just the way Podcast are suppose to work and I am the only one having trouble with it.

Let me know your thoughts.. :ugeek:
fonewiz

download number

New postby jah on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Where is the setting to indicate how many podcasts should download? I cannot find it.
jah

Re: download number

New postby ammonsd on Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:08 am

Highlight the Podcast (not the episodes) and select Edit.
ammonsd

New postby marwatk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Thanks for fielding that, ammonsd.

Jah, let me know if you run into any other issues.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: Auto Download, I just don't get it

New postby marwatk on Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi fonewiz,

Well, it tries to keep you current at all times. The auto-download number is the number it will download of any new episodes it sees (regarless of how many it currently has). Then, after downloading the number, it looks to see if the number it currently has is more than the "to keep" number. If it is, it starts deleting listened episodes first, then old episodes, etc.

Let me know if I can explain further, or that doesn't make sense.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby jah on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks for the responses. So that allows for an "unfinished number to keep" and "max to auto-download" but doesn't seem to limit the maximum downloaded.

Example. I download a new podcast feed that has 8 episodes. Podtrapper downloads the most recent 4. So, 1-4 are not downloaded and 5-8 are downloaded and available. I don't listen to any of them. Now 9 and 10 are released. Currently podtrapper downloads them so that 1-4 are not downloaded and 5-10 are downloaded.

I'd like to have 2 additional options:

1: Keep # most recent - where podtrapper will keep the most recent # of downloads and delete (but retain as undownloaded) the older episodes. In the above example I would have 1-6 not downloaded and 7-10 downloaded.

2: Keep # - where podtrapper keeps # number of episodes and any new released episodes are simply listed as undownloaded. In the above example I would have 1-4 and 9-10 not downloaded and 5-8 downloaded.

Or am I missing a setting somewhere?
jah

New postby jah on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:34 pm

This is along the lines of what I posted in another thread. For example - I have one podcast that is new and has a long history. I have settings at 4 unfinished to keep and 2 to auto-download. I have not had time to listen to any of these podcasts - and I currently show 5 downloaded (the most recent 5) and 58 undownloaded. A second podcast has the same settings and it sitting at 6 downloaded and 4 undownloaded.

As everyone else has said - these are nits. Amazing program overall. Worth every penny and more and makes my storm worthwhile.
jah

New postby marwatk on Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi Jah,

jah wrote:1: Keep # most recent - where podtrapper will keep the most recent # of downloads and delete (but retain as undownloaded) the older episodes. In the above example I would have 1-6 not downloaded and 7-10 downloaded.

This should be how it works if the 'to keep' setting is set to 4, though it may take an additional update after downloading episodes 9 and 10 for it to delete 5 and 6. (Sometimes it doesn't notice to delete them until it update the podcast again, but you should never see more than the to keep + auto download at any time, and eventually it'll settle to 'to keep')

jah wrote:2: Keep # - where podtrapper keeps # number of episodes and any new released episodes are simply listed as undownloaded. In the above example I would have 1-4 and 9-10 not downloaded and 5-8 downloaded.

This would be how it works if 'to keep' is set to 4, and you download the original 4 episodes manually, and auto-download is set to 0. Or, if upon adding the podcast, the first episodes are downloaded, then you set auto download to 0.

So I think everything is there, definitely let me know if you're seeing different behavior.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby marwatk on Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:01 pm

In case this topic looks wierd, I merged two previous topics.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby 1000rrren on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:49 am

Hi Gents,

Not sure where to post this but I am considering buying this product after the trial but Im finding one issue I need to resolve before I do. I have read through all the other posts but to no avail. The issue Im having is that the podcast site I want are not downloading all episodes. I mean it did download some but not all and at first I though that was because it was a trial.

Am I wrong in this? Is there a limit on how many you can download?

I also added a couple of other URLs and it downloaded one or two and then no more.

Please help because this program really seems to fit the bill.

Thank you.

[email protected]
1000rrren

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi there,

There aren't any limitations on the trial except the 30 day period. What you may be seeing is that by default PodTrapper only downloads the two most recent episodes, the rest are set to not auto-download. You should be able to download whichever you like via the Menu->[re]Download Episode, which will trigger that episode for download. Let me know if that's not working for some reason.

Also, note that you can set the number to auto download for each podcast in the 'Edit Podcast' menu item.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help