file system out of resources

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

file system out of resources

New postby appledee on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:45 pm

Hello,

I have the Curve 8530. When I am trying to play a podcast, I kept getting the message Error playing this episode (0x2): (0) net.rim.device.api.io.file.FileIOException/File system out of resources. When I do a battery pull, it resets the phone, and I can play the episode again. But the next time around, the same message pops out again, and I have to do a battery pull again. I'm running off the beta version 2.9.17. All version of my podtrapper kept doing that. I kept updating it hoping that the update will help, but it seems like it may be only happening to me! Something wrong with my phone?

I tried looking up, but the only help I could find was someone saying to toggle the playback setting from yes to no or from no to yes. I tried that, but it still did not work.

Please help.

thank you in advance,

Dee
appledee

Re: file system out of resources

New postby marwatk on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Dee,

Hmm, this can be a bug in PodTrapper, or the OS, so we'll have to do some digging to find out which is which.

How many episodes can you play before you see it happen?

Does it happen routinely on certain podcasts?

If you exit PodTrapper (via Menu->Exit) and then go back in, does it start working again, or is a battery pull the only thing that helps?

Any more information you can provide would be helpful.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby appledee on Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:55 am

Hi Marcus,

Thank you for your reply. It happens to all of the episodes I have downloaded. You know the little icons that podcasts have when you subscribe to it? Instead of showing the icon, it shows the Podtrapper symbol for all the icons. So, it did not even load up the icons for all the podcasts I subscribed to. Originally I subscribed to 5 podcast. I deleted 3, and kept 2, and only 2 episodes downloaded on each podcast.

I have 2 GB SD card. All my pictures, video, and podcasts are automatically saved into it. I have 1.5GB free space still. It was not a memory leak because the phone memory was not zero. I try the Menu->exit route (it was the first thing I tried), but did not work. I tried the fix player thing. Only after the battery pull that I see all the icons back to its respective podcast.

I never actually play more than 2 episodes continuously (they're NPR podcasts around 1 hours each), but it seems to happen after being idle for awhile like the next day. this happens regardless I kept the Podtrapper on or off overnight.

Last night, I just tried something that I never tried before. I reformatted my SD card last night. This morning, I was able to play it without the battery pull. I wonder if it was a glitch with my SD card. If yes, this should take care of it. I will keep you updated if I get the error message again. The error message was happening almost everyday that I was getting frustrated.

Thanks again!

Dee
appledee

New postby marwatk on Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:47 am

Ok, definitely let me know. It's good to know that the resources issue could be caused by corruption (I didn't know that was possible).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby appledee on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:10 am

Hi Marcus,

I think it WAS problem with the SD card. After reformatting it, it obviously deleted the Podtrapper folder. So, when I restarted the program, it asked me where to put the folder, and I created another Podtrapper folder in my SD card. Since then, it's working fine. I hope this can help anybody who may have the same error as me to try formatting their SD as one of the troubleshooting option (don't forget to back it up first!!).

It has been a few days since I did the reformat, and had not have the error. I will let you know if anything else happen.

Thanks!

Dee
appledee

New postby wdcbrucefan on Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm having the same problem. Do I really need to reformat my SD card to fix?

Am using a registered version of PodTrapper on a Verizon Blackberry Bold 9650. The Bold is a month old and I am experiencing this problem for 2nd time in a week. The podcasts play fine thru BB Media Player. Error occurs on any podcast only in PT.
wdcbrucefan

New postby marwatk on Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 pm

It's not always the SD card. Try upgrading your PodTrapper and see if that helps:

http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

Let me know if not. (Sorry for the delayed response)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby tadc on Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:38 pm

HI all - sorry to dredge up an old thread but I recently began having a similar issue.

BB 9700, v5.0.0.979, Podtrapper 3.0.15.

In my case, I don't lose the ability to play podcasts (or not always, I'm pretty sure it did happen once... maybe I don't wait around long enough for that symptom to develop anymore). What I first notice is that my downloads stop working, and when I look at the log I see the message about the filesystem being out of resources. A battery pull fixes it, restarting the app does not. No other apps seem to have issues when this is going on(but then no other app is so SD-access-intensive).

I did try upgrading to the newest version and reformatting the card, although I did just copy all the existing data back into place rather than letting the app re-create it's files.

The only other clue I have for you is that the podcast icons have all been replaced by the podtrapper icon. At one point during my troubleshooting most of them came back, but they are gone again now.

Last clue, this is a company BB with an encrypted filesystem and a fairly strict security policy so maybe something they did broke it, but it did work fine for quite a while before and does continue to work normally for a few days after a battery pull.

Thanks for any ideas.
tadc

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:56 am

:/ It's usually a sign I'm not freeing something properly, but occasionally there are OS bugs. With the encryption enabled I'm more prone to chalk it up to OS bugs, but I'll see what I can find. Is there any action you can take in PodTrapper that hastens when it happens?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby tadc on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:04 am

No action that I'm aware of will hasten the problem. Any ideas of things I should try? :)

Come to think of it, I do have one particular daily podcast set to check hourly rather than daily, because they have a habit of posting it at random times and I was getting tired of missing the file due to them posting after the daily check. I wonder if that might be exacerbating the problem (using excessive handles or whatever?)

Thanks.
tadc

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 pm

So I've gone back over the culprits to this one and couldn't find anything. How long does it usually take to crop up? Does it happen even if you don't listen to anything?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby tadc on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:42 am

I'd say it usually takes 3-4 days to occur. I couldn't say if it doesn't happen without listening, because I listen pretty much daily.

I do frequently start and stop using the "mute" button, if that's helpful.

I have changed back to once-daily updating to see if that makes a difference. I'll post an update as to whether it seems to help.
tadc

New postby tadc on Wed May 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Greetings, I'm back with an update.

So the change to once-daily updates doesn't seem to have helped... if anything it's gotten worse. :?

Some further thoughts/comments: I was wrong above about quitting/restarting the app not resolving the problem. It does... sometimes. Other times I still need to pull the battery. I've also reproduced the issue where I get the out of resources error when trying to play a podcast, although that issue happens less frequently. Not sure but there may be an association between the no-play condition (vs no-download) and requiring a battery pull rather than just an app restart.

Other thoughts - this particular podcast requires credentials to access. I also note that this podcast for whatever reason repeatedly logs a failure to download a logo.jpg file (gets a 404 error). Might either of these be helping to break the resource-freeing functionality? Just grasping at straws here. :)

I guess I'll try to change everything to manual update and see what happens.
tadc

New postby marwatk on Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 pm

I'm willing to wager that it's an OS bug with the encrypted file system, but I definitely want to try working around it. Can you set your update interval to something like hourly and see if you can duplicate it faster?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help