OS6: Can't restore settings

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

OS6: Can't restore settings

New postby ofutur on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:15 pm

For some reason I never get my settings back after an OS install.
This time, I tried to find out if I was forgetting to do something, but I did check and my settings were backed up by BBDM.
The only problem is that they cannot be restored. It just fails.
Firing up PT, restores my podcasts, but not the settings.
ofutur

Re: OS6: Can't restore settings

New postby marwatk on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:17 pm

:/ What about the backup on your SD card?
http://www.versatilemonkey.com/wiki/Bac ... r_settings

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:28 pm

I deleted PT and reinstalled it.
On load, it was empty.
"Restore from backup" told me there was no backup.
I restored the settings from BBDM. It told me that it had failed, but after a few PT restarts, it loaded my last good settings that were probably saved in BBDM.

So either BBDM is not being honest about what is happening or PT found a good backup, somewhere on my SD card.
Hopefully, these settings are now safe on the SD card.

It's great that we can backup settings through BBDM and hopefully it's just an OS6 beta problem, but I would love it if we could, like for other apps, just backup the settings to the SD card.
ofutur

New postby ofutur on Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:12 am

Quick update.
While PT was able to load all my podcasts, it wasn't able to match files on the SD with the episodes and thus started to re-download all recent episodes.
It eventually failed quite fast due to the lack of space.

How do I re-associate the episodes to the media files?

P.S.
PT still cannot find any backup on my SD card even though I exited and restarted the app a few times.
ofutur

New postby ofutur on Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:59 pm

New update... :)
I've reloaded the settings from the backup. BBDM told me it failed, as usual, but I got all my settings back.

When I exit, it takes a while for the settings to be saved. I have no idea if it happens even.
When I load PT again, everything is still here, but if I want to prune files, I'm told that there is something funky about the way PT was started, so it won't let me...
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Sorry for the delayed response :(

You've likely already discovered this, but rebooting will fix the pruning issue. Let me know if not...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Hello,
Yes, it did last time. I sent you the feedback via email :)
Olivier
ofutur

New postby ofutur on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:38 am

It's still such a pain!
Settings always fail to get restored from the BBDM backups and the option in the menu always says there is no backup.
All my podcasts are empty even though the files are on the media card.

There must be a way to force the association or to let us backup the settings to the Media card so that we can easily restore them.
ofutur

New postby ofutur on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Update!

From a 9700/OS6 to another 9700/OS6, BBDM indicates a successful restore, but I couldn't find that setting after that (Podtrapper wasn't installed on the device, so maybe that's why).

From a 9700/OS6 to a 9780, BBDM says that the restore process fails, but if Podtrapper is not started and the device rebooted, then it seems that everything will be loaded as it was before a wipe.

The key here seems to be to not load PT right away, but to reboot first. I have tried so many combinations that something else may have had an effect, but hopefully this will be of some use to somebody else.

Is still think that some form of manual backup/restore would be welcome :)

Olivier
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:34 pm

:/ What folder are you PT settings in? I'm guessing it's non-standard and that's why each new PT install can't find the old PT backups.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:49 pm

I can't find an option that lets me choose a folder for my settings. I can only see a button to restore the settings.
I'm using the standard folder to save the podcasts I think (SDCard/blackberry/podtrapper). My /Blackberry/ folder starts with a capital B, so maybe it does make a difference?
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:19 pm

No, that shouldn't matter. You can't really specify the directory to restore from, you have to switch first, then you can restore. Alternatively, you can move all the old files to where PT now thinks things should be, then restore. Are there any PT_B_* files in your podtrapper folder?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 am

I changed the storage folder, indicating the same one and PT seemed to be moving files for some reason.
Next I updated the OS and unfortunately I loaded an older version of PT...
Settings were restored and I updated to the latest version of PT.
I've noticed that the path is all lower case again.

Now all my podcasts have been deleted. I'm not sure when this happened and which setting triggered that. The info in PT is wrong since it thinks a lot of the files are still there, but once you want to play any of them, it can't find them.

How do I get PT to rescan the podcast folder to update the listings. Pruning doesn't work. It says there are 0 files.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:57 am

:/ So now the PT_E files are in the same folder listed in the Storage settings?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 am

No, I have some PT_T files that are probably the podcasts' descriptions, 2 PT_B files from 2 different version of PT, 1 PT_Backup files from today and some audio and video files (freshly downloaded).

After an OS update last night, the BBDM data restore went fine, but my settings were not correct (they never are). I had to go through all the options again in order to set them the way I wanted.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Hmm, so no PT_E files anywhere? (PT_E files are the episodes, they may have PT_E at the end in the latest versions).

So if you do a backup and restore from that one, it keeps some settings but not others?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:48 pm

I stand corrected, the PT_E is at the end of the names of all episodes that I have re-downloaded.

And yes, every time I install a new OS, I have to partially re-configure PT. Maybe it was recently fixed and I missed it because of the cock up of installing an old version instead of the latest one.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:17 am

Hmm, yeah, my idea for using the versions as the backup file names wasn't a good one. The newest versions backup to date-specific files, so you can know exactly when the backup was made. Hopefully that alleviates some of it, I'm sorry it's been so frustrating for you :(

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:22 am

I'll let you know how my next OS updates goes ;)

Should I just delete the other backup files then?
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:48 am

If you want, but it's not really necessary.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Sun May 15, 2011 1:57 pm

I've just installed a new OS, on the same phone.

Restoring settings backed up with BBDM failed.
Restoring settings from PT itself gave me a "no backup found" type of message.

I ended up having to reconfigure things manually, but the podcasts and episodes were still here.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Tue May 17, 2011 3:20 pm

Hmm, what folder are your PT_B files in?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Tue May 17, 2011 4:51 pm

In a hidden folder called /Media Card/Blackberry/podtrapper

I have several 2MB files called PT_Backup_xxx.dat.rem and 2 PT_B_xxx.dat.rem files.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Mon May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

And to confirm, that's the same folder that's listed in storage settings, bug if you go to 'Restore from backup', you don't get a list of backup files?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Mon May 23, 2011 4:48 pm

The only difference in the paths is the case of one letter.
Even though I must have 50 backups, I don't get a list.

Nobody else is saying anything, so it must be something that has followed me over the years.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:14 pm

:/ I'm guessing it's tripping over one or more of the backup files. Can you move all of them out except one or two of the latest and see if that fixes it? (The PT_B and PT_Backup files)

-marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:17 pm

OK, I just did and freed over 100MB :shock:
I'll let you know how the next OS update goes :)
ofutur

New postby mtech on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:44 pm

Okay, I'm having some trouble migrating from BB to Android. I promise I spent hours reading up and attempting restores. None worked. When I finally got it to work, PT crashed out and keeps crashing. Last use of PT on BB was 10/25/2011.

So... Can you help me to understand what each of these files are:

I have a few like this one: PT_B_3.0.15.dat (Where I assume this means it is from version 3.0.15). I have one with 0.5. another 0.6, and .10, .13, .15, and .16. These all have "Date Modified" ranging March and April 2011.

Then I have a bunch like this: PT_Backup_2011_06_28.dat (Where I assume this is in YYYY_MM_DD format. I have 10 of these with 6/28 being the latest. Each filename matches its "Date Modified" field.)

Then I have a bunch like this: PT_Backup_2011_10_25.dat.rem (Again, the filename dates and the "Date Modified" field match in each case. There are 61 of these .dat.rem files starting with PT_Backup_2011_07_08.dat.rem and ending PT_Backup_2011_10_25.dat.rem)

I also have one each of:
PT_B_2.6.7.tmp
PT_B_2.6.9.tmp
PT_Backup_2011_05_02.tmp
PT_Backup_2011_05_24.tmp
PT_E_1_29000.mp3.dat.rem
PT_T_19578.dat.rem

I have 30 of these: PT_TEMP_1.dat.rem (ending PT_TEMP_30.dat.rem). Interestingly, TEMP_1 has a date of 10/24/11 and TEMP_30 has a date of 10/10/2011. The dates ascend as the filenames descend. Hmmmm.

I also have a ton of PT_T_xxxx.dat files. I suspect these are partially downloaded episodes.

Anyway, can you help me remove the backup (and other) files I don't need so I can run a successful restore? Also, based on the filenames above (and the fact that my PT on BB was up-to-date with the latest beta as of 10/25/2011), which version of PT for Android should I be installing?

Please help. Been without PT for a week and some of my podcasts only give free episodes for the first week of their release (can you say This American Life!!!).

Many thanks.
Last edited by mtech on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Droid Bionic | Android 2.3.4 | System 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon,en.US| Fav Podcast: This American Life
mtech

New postby ofutur on Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:51 pm

I'll let Marcus give you all the details, but I just wanted to let you know that I sucessfully migrated from BB to Android.
I installed the latest Android beta and copied everything I had in the PodTrapper folder to the SD card I use in my Android.

From the app, I did a restore and I was back in business.
ofutur

New postby mtech on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Thanks. I know I'm close. I'll wait for clarification about which files are which, but in the meantime can you tell me exact order of things, ie download app; run once; close app; copy files to SD; run app; run restore; close app; restart Android phone;

Or whatever order of steps worked for you.

Thanks.
Droid Bionic | Android 2.3.4 | System 5.5.886.XT875.Verizon,en.US| Fav Podcast: This American Life
mtech

New postby ofutur on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:56 am

Install app
Go to settings and change the PT folder to one on your SD card
Restart app, then exit

Put old data into SD card and insert card
Start PT
It may ask you to pick a backup or may use the latest one, but if you don't have all your podcasts, go to settings and do a restore
ofutur

New postby mtech on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:33 am

Great. Thanks.

I'll wait for Marcus to tell me which ONE of the many backup files I should use, and to confirm your recommended order of steps.

One Q: When you said "but if you don't have all your podcasts, go to settings and do a restore," what do you mean? Will it automatically restore my information after I've copied it back to the SD, or will it do something else? Just confused! Thanks. (I do *think* I have all of my podcast audio and video files intact.)
mtech

New postby ofutur on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:52 am

What I mean is that it will show all your podcasts and know which episodes you already have, etc.
You can go ahead and try it, you won't lose anything if you just copy your data to a new SD card. You can always delete unneeded files later :)
ofutur

New postby mtech on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Just tried it. I chose the 3.0.16 backup (it offered my only 3.0.6, .10, .13, .15 and .16 and no other backups were offered).

It did its thing and asked me to exit. Upon restarting application, it crashed right away. Then I started it again and it loaded what looks to be the podcasts I had (in the order I remember them in) but most had no episodes listed. For those that had episodes listed, I was not able to play them. It said the file (PT_E_xxxxxxxx) was not found and offered to re-download them.

ARGH!!! Help! I know I have the audio files -- I can see all 8 GBs of them. But not linked and crashes every time I start the application. Starts on second start...

Help!?!

Thanks.
mtech

New postby ofutur on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 pm

You have to use 3.0.20 on the BlackBerry. That version does daily backups and will be compatible with version 3.0.20 on Android.

If that's what you've installed, then I'm at a loss...
ofutur

New postby mtech on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks.

I am an update junky so I suspect I would have had 3.0.20 on my BB. I can't check easily because the screen cracked!!

The latest backup I was offered was the 3.0.16 (file modified date is 4/9/2011).

However, I have a ton of PT_Backup_YYYY_MM_DD.dat.rem files, the latest from 10/25. Does the .rem mean it was never complete (like a .TMP file in windows)?

Hopefully Marcus' newborn will take a nap soon and he'll grace us with his in-depth knowledge of .dat.rem files and the rest ;)
mtech

New postby ofutur on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Those PT_Backup_YYYY_MM_DD.dat.rem are the ones you want, but the problem is that they are encrypted, so Android can't use them unless you deactivate SD card encryption on your BB. Tricky to do with a cracked screen :S
I suspect the 3.0.16 backup format cannot be fully understand by your Android :(.
ofutur

Return to Bugs and help