A few problems I'm experiencing

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

A few problems I'm experiencing

New postby EliezerB on Mon May 30, 2011 4:44 pm

I'm having a few problems:
1) Even though I set the "New Podcasts" setting "Download type" to "Audio [only]", when I create a new podcast, that setting doesn't apply for some reason - and it's created with "Audio, Video, All Types" - or however that "all" option is worded.
2) Even though a podcat is set to "Download type" "Audio [only]" - it still regularly downloads MPEG podcasts along with the audio files.
3) When I "Exit" PT, it flashes through the regular shut down notifications, but gets stuck on "PodTrapper is exiting... Backing up settings to storage dir" and sits there - and never goes away - at 81%. The only thing I can do is choose "Cancel" then it shuts down instantly. (But is probably not backing up!) Noteworthy: this happens exactly in alternating times. In other words, the first time I "Exit" - it does what I just described. The next time I "Exit" the app, instead of getting stuck on the "PodTrapper is exiting... Backing up settings to storage dir" message - it displays it for about 5 seconds - at 81%! - then just closes abruptly. This is always in alternating sequence. Weird.
4) Many(!!!) times I can do nothing at all to get it to play any podcasts. It shows the paused (||) icon, but I cannot do anything to "unpause" it. Exiting and restarting doesn't help. At the same time it's doing that, it will not show the detail (summary, filename, etc.) of any podcasts.

I'm using Beta v3.0.20 with a BlackBerry - 8330m, CDMA, v4.5.0.138, Platform 3.4.0.30

Thank so much! I still love this app!!! :-)
Eliezer
EliezerB

Re: A few problems I'm experiencing

New postby EliezerB on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:17 am

Marcus, could you please reply to these concerns/bugs(?) - especially #3 above?
That one has me quite concerned - especially in light of my other post:
http://www.versatilemonkey.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1516 !...

Thanks,
Eliezer
EliezerB

New postby cadzilla74 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:00 pm

EliezerB wrote:Marcus, could you please reply to these concerns/bugs(?) - especially #3 above?
That one has me quite concerned - especially in light of my other post:
http://www.versatilemonkey.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1516 !...

Thanks,
Eliezer

Just a thought, but I had a similar issue in the past. Have you gone into Menu>Settings>Storage Settings and "Prune Orphan Files"?

I had what I believe was a bad PT-Backup file once as well that also caused a problem when exiting. You might want to use your File Explorer and go to the PodTrapper folder on your SD card. Delete ALL the PT-Backup files and do a battery pull. Then restart PT and try to close it to see if the problem is still there.

If that doesn't work I guess you'll need Marcus to look at your logs. You may have a PT-T file that is messed up and the app can't save a backup because one of those is unreadable. Those PT-T files are the individual settings/download history files for each subscribed podcast. Don't delete them.

Hope this helps.
<HTC Thunderbolt/Gingerbread and Motorola Droid 3/Gingerbread - Verizon - PodTrapper 3.0.21> - <HoneyDew 2.0.6 HTC Thunderbolt/Motorola Droid 3>
cadzilla74

New postby EliezerB on Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:03 pm

Cadzilla, thank you very much for your advice. I tried exactly what you suggested - but, alas! - the same problem persists...
Marcus?... :(
EliezerB

New postby marwatk on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Usually the hanging isn't actually hanging (though it can be sometimes). I've seen it take a BB up to 5 minutes to back up a serious amount of podcasts. Does it eventually go away?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby EliezerB on Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:30 am

Now it doesn't seem to do the backup altogether. I think it's not backing up at all now. Attached is a picture of the file system:

PodTrapper backup files.jpg
PodTrapper backup files.jpg (149.63 KiB) Viewed 16259 times

I just Exited the app this morning (06-13-2011) - so please tell me if it looks like it's backing up properly. I'm concerned... Is there a way for you to check my logs? Thanks!
EliezerB

New postby EndingPop on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:51 am

Do you see the file marked 2011_06_13? This is the backup file for June 13. It looks like it's backing up right to me.
Motorola Droid X2 running Android 2.2.2 on Verizon

PodTrapper v3.0.20
HoneyDew v2.0.6
EndingPop

New postby rlegan on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:52 pm

I have been struggling with the hang problem for months. I wasn't sure I could describe the problem well enough so I was waiting for someone else to bring it up.

Running 3.0.21, 8330 BB curver, although this problem was occurring before this release.
Major symptom for me is when moving to the next podcast in the default playlist, the current screen will switch to the next entry, but play will not start. Toggling the play/stop button will show a change of status, but item will not play. At this point if decide to just try to delete the podcast which seems to be hung, the delete will also hang. Occasionally, going back to the playlist and selecting a different podcast will free things up and the newly selected entry will play. Maybe 1 out 10 times. Selecting EXIT will then always hang at 81% forever until Cancel is selected. Starting podtrapper again will still hang when the current podcast is selected to play. The only sure way to clear the hang is to pull the battery.

When hung, I can select Play in Native Player and it will play the currently selected entry. But when the play is over, returning to podtrapper will hang when trying to delete the current selection.

I should note that I'm using the option to delete podcasts at the end of play.

Would it help if I selected the email the developer when in this hung mode with a log?

Thanks,
Randy
rlegan

New postby EliezerB on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Thank you, Randy, for seconding my post! Yes, Marcus, I'd really appreciate if you'd take a look at my logs as well. Please advise. Thanks so much!
EliezerB

New postby marwatk on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:07 pm

rlegan wrote:Running 3.0.21, 8330 BB curver, although this problem was occurring before this release.
Major symptom for me is when moving to the next podcast in the default playlist, the current screen will switch to the next entry, but play will not start. Toggling the play/stop button will show a change of status, but item will not play. At this point if decide to just try to delete the podcast which seems to be hung, the delete will also hang. Occasionally, going back to the playlist and selecting a different podcast will free things up and the newly selected entry will play. Maybe 1 out 10 times. Selecting EXIT will then always hang at 81% forever until Cancel is selected. Starting podtrapper again will still hang when the current podcast is selected to play. The only sure way to clear the hang is to pull the battery.

When hung, I can select Play in Native Player and it will play the currently selected entry. But when the play is over, returning to podtrapper will hang when trying to delete the current selection.

Hmm, so it sounds like the media player is hanging on to the file, and PT is waiting for it to actually do the delete.Definitely shoot me a copy of your logs next time you see the hang. (Via Help/Support -> Email developer). I'm interested to see where the player is when it gets stuck like that. When you see the hang on exit, what status label is listed when it hangs? Definitely want to get any hanging fixed...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby rlegan on Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 am

Attempting to Email the developer and it hangs at Gathering Logs 0%.
How would I manually gather up the log and send it to you.

Randy
rlegan

New postby marwatk on Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:31 pm

Crap. Grab .20 and the logs should still work: (.21 is wonky on BB)
http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby rlegan on Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Marcus,

Knock on wood, .20 has been problem free...... If that statement won't jinx it, I don't know what will..

Randy
rlegan

Return to Bugs and help