For anyone having Playback issues

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

For anyone having Playback issues

New postby marwatk on Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to track down this playback issue some people are having, and I need more data (I can't reproduce it on my or my wife's blackberry).

If you're having issues playing back some/all podcasts, can you grab a copy of 1.5.9 or later and post a response to this answering these questions?

1) Does it happen on all podcasts/episodes?
2) Does the progress bar move at all while it's trying to play?
3) Does the file play in the blackberry media player? (There's now a menu item in the playback screen [the one with the playback buttons] to launch it in the BB media player)
4) What model and OS are you on?
5) Why? Why are you doing this to me? :)
6) Attempt to play a file that doesn't work, let it not play for 10-15 seconds, then pause it. Then send the logs to me.
7) If you have a few minutes to spare, and want to try some stuff with me, you can reach me as h00zle on AIM (those are zeros)

Follow these steps to send the logs:
From the main screen, hit the menu and choose 'View Downloads'
From this screen, hit the menu and choose 'Send logs'
From this screen hit the menu and choose 'Send'

Hopefully if I get enough data here I'll be able to see a pattern, and maybe fix it. Sorry to run you through this, but I can't think of another way to figure out what's going on.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Re: For anyone having Playback issues

New postby marwatk on Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:51 pm

Just an update on where I'm at with this issue (the last major bug left, I think, minus the video stuff that I haven't start yet).

I still haven't been able to duplicate this, so I've been taking shots in the dark at places where I think it could be going wrong. In the process, I end up breaking it for some other section of users, so I'm going to start a branch of code to work on this issue from here on out, so my shots in the dark don't break everyone else :) So, if you're having this issue, definitely follow the steps above with the latest available version, and shoot me a note or follow up here. I want to get it fixed, but we'll work on the side to not impact everyone else. (I'll set up a new repository for versions to test this stuff with).

I'm starting to come around to the idea that it may just be corrupt media files causing it (which would explain why not everyone sees it, and why I can't duplicate it).

I found some super secret messages that RIM may be passing to inform me of what's happening that I wasn't previously capturing, which I added to 1.5.11, so hopefully logs produced with that version will be more helpful (?). Gotta love undocumented code...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Tom Munch on Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:24 pm

Marcus,

I downloaded a podcast & had bad skipping errors when it first started until after about 15 mis-starts it finally played normally. I didn't notice if the progress bar was moving at that time because it would only play a few seconds & then stop. I paused it at some point, & when I restarted the volume was about a tenth of what it was before & very distorted. I enabled playing in Media Player where it plays fine at normal volume. I tried another podcast in Podtrapper with the same bad volume result. I just sent my log a few minutes ago. I'm using a Bold with OS 4.6.0.167 (original AT&T release) & Podtrapper 1.5.11.

Tom
Tom Munch

New postby marwatk on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks for the report, Tom. I think I know what this issue is and will take care of it. Though it should be rare. Can you let me know if it happens again?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby diffused on Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Sort of a playback issue.
Just thought I would mention that in version 1.6.14, as I was listening to a short podcast today, at about 60% listened, it swept on through to 100% listened by itself. It was also downloading in the background at the same time. I also couldnt delete that episode.
After downloading 1.7 tonight, the same podcast, different episode, did this again although I could delete it successfully. If this should happen again would sending logs help identify this sort of problem?
diffused~

BOLD TOUCH 9930 O.S. 7.1.0.342
diffused

New postby Cigarjockey on Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm

Tried to watch diggnation video pod cast (the small quicktime file they offer), the video plays for a few seconds then the video stops and the audio keeps going. The only way I can escape is to do a battery pull. I tried the option of watching the file using BBMP, but the same result occurred. I have version 1.7.0. On a curve 8330 using os 4.5.0.127
Cigarjockey

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi there CigarJockey,

Sadly our curves generally aren't up to playing most podcasts, they just don't have the horsepower to decode mpeg4 unless it meets very specific requirements.

I'm working on compiling what types of video actually play on which devices, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby Cigarjockey on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:26 am

Thanks for the reply Marcus.
Cigarjockey

New postby Tom Munch on Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:25 pm

Marcus,

It seems that my latest playback issues I reported with 1.71 might be served over in this thread, so I'll reference that thread & send you a log now.

Tom
Tom Munch

New postby Neuroxic77 on Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:56 pm

I am having a problem from a certain station playback.
On the "Deuce Plays with Bart Hanson" podcasts I can play the entire podcast uninterupted without any problems.
If I FF after about 59% playback the podcast resets to the begining. It will continue to reset every time I hit any of the three FF buttons.
It also happens after I pause and resume a podcast
I can Rewind back to about 58% and it will play normally as long as I dont try to FF or Pause.

1) Does it happen on all podcasts/episodes?
NO only all 3 of the Deuce Plays I have tested.

2) Does the progress bar move at all while it's trying to play?
Yes it plays as if it just started from the begining. The counter will go up and run beyond the endtime until the program is finished.

3) Does the file play in the blackberry media player? (There's now a menu item in the playback screen [the one with the playback buttons] to launch it in the BB media player)
Yes I am having issues with it as well when I try to adjust the slider beyond about 60%. I have the same problem when I Dled the file on my PC then xfered it to my phone but I had no problems playinf it with Quick Time and Windows Media Player
4) What model and OS are you on?
BB Storm 9530 Running .75 Usinf PodTrapper V 1.7.2

5) Why? Why are you doing this to me?
LOL Just an FYI

6) Attempt to play a file that doesn't work, let it not play for 10-15 seconds, then pause it. Then send the logs to me.
OK Ill try.

7) If you have a few minutes to spare, and want to try some stuff with me, you can reach me as h00zle on AIM
Sorry I dont have IM

Thx
Ryan
Neuroxic77

New postby infernox on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:23 am

Cigarjockey wrote:Tried to watch diggnation video pod cast (the small quicktime file they offer), the video plays for a few seconds then the video stops and the audio keeps going. The only way I can escape is to do a battery pull. I tried the option of watching the file using BBMP, but the same result occurred. I have version 1.7.0. On a curve 8330 using os 4.5.0.127

I have the same problem but I'm running the Bold 9000 while running the Podtrapper app but if I use the RIM media player, then I don't have an issue. Is there a fix to this video blackout?
infernox

New postby Mark on Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:03 pm

On my BB 8820 I get audio but no video on http://feeds2.feedburner.com/railscasts? Is this related?
Mark

New postby marwatk on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:25 pm

Hi Ryan,

Unfortunately if it happens with the BBMP it's going to happen with PodTrapper regardless of what I do (PodTrapper uses the BBMP internally). It sounds like their encoder is messing up the index, you might try it on a PC and see if it does the same thing (if so you can email them and let them know). It could be, though, that some minor attribute of the file is triggering one of BBMP's idiosyncrasies and there's nothing we can really do about it :(

infernox wrote:I have the same problem but I'm running the Bold 9000 while running the Podtrapper app but if I use the RIM media player, then I don't have an issue. Is there a fix to this video blackout?

Can you describe exactly what happens? The prior issue with the diggnation thing was caused by a bad video/bb model issue, but the bold shouldn't have that problem, so my guess is it's not happening the same way.

Mark wrote:On my BB 8820 I get audio but no video on http://feeds2.feedburner.com/railscasts? Is this related?

Hi Mark, that generally means that the media is encoded in such a way that your berry knows it can't play it, and reverts to audio only (iirc h.264 does this on the older models). Unfortunately the 88xx, 82xx and 83xx models generally aren't powerful enough to play most videos.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby zduchene on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Storm Playback issues.

Certain Podcasts cause the storm to reboot itself with a 501 Error (I think it is 501).

I am running BB Storm Version 4.7.0.113
Podtrapper 1.8.6

Help is appreciated!
zduchene

New postby diffused on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm just anouther Podtrapper user but there has been an update to 190. Might want to try that.
diffused~

BOLD TOUCH 9930 O.S. 7.1.0.342
diffused

New postby marwatk on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:09 pm

Hi there,

The reboot issues are tricky, it's not entirely impossible for PodTrapper to crash a berry (though it should be), it can happen. More usually, though, especially in the case of the storm, it's a result of the media player crashing. Are you seeing crashes only when playing stuff back? (Which is generally out of my control) Or are you seeing it while doing something in PT?

Thanks for as much detail as you can provide on any patterns you can see.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help