Issues Found With 1.5.11

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Issues Found With 1.5.11

New postby mike240se on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:47 pm

Ok i emailed you on some of this, this is a follow up thread.

As an aside, it appears you havent updated your website with the latest version. Also if you goto versatilemonkey.com/ota you are prompted to install some pre 1.x beta, i almost did thinking it was a new beta. Appears old.

Issue 1) With downloads turned off, i can not update the podcast list of episodes. So lets say i turn off downloading cause i want to save battery for now or whatever, i still would like to see what new podcasts are available.

Issue 2) I still can not cancel a podcast download in progress. I had 2 from engadget on the download list, 1 was done, 1 was 41% done. I cancled it but it stayed on the list. It kept donwloading too. Also, the little icon on the left of the names doesnt actually list which one is actively downloading. they all have the same little circle icon.

Issue 3) If i am downloading a podcast (its happened automatically) and i find a podcast that is more interesting, how can i get that podcast to the top of the download list? Obviously not being able to cancel is an issue, but even if i could, how would i get a podcast to the top of the download list?

Question 1) Is it possible to just manually download any podcasts i want instead of automatically downloaing them? Is there "manual download" option for each episode if i set auto downloads to zero?

Thanks
mike240se
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Issues Found With 1.5.11

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi Mike,

I fixed the update bug, it was only checking for versions differing, not necessarily newer.

mike240se wrote:1) With downloads turned off, i can not update the podcast list of episodes. So lets say i turn off downloading cause i want to save battery for now or whatever, i still would like to see what new podcasts are available.


I'm extremely hesitant to provide overriding of the master download settings, since in some cases (travelling, non-unlimited data plans, etc) using mechanisms or times that aren't set up could charge people money. I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I think in this regard I'm going to err on the conservative side. If I come up with a way to make it absolutely clear to the user what they're doing, I may go for it, but it would take a significant reworking of the download code to let some downloads go through and others not.

mike240se wrote:Issue 2) I still can not cancel a podcast download in progress. I had 2 from engadget on the download list, 1 was done, 1 was 41% done. I cancled it but it stayed on the list. It kept donwloading too. Also, the little icon on the left of the names doesnt actually list which one is actively downloading. they all have the same little circle icon.


I think the issue here is more of a UI issue (that I need to fix). Downloads do cancel, but they stay in the download queue. When the downloader finally gets to them it skips them. The only download you'd see an effect on is the one currently in progress. This is a total laziness issue on my part (well, and not having the time), since it's actually hard to remove stuff from the middle of my data structures. It's something I definitely want to fix, though.

mike240se wrote:Issue 3) If i am downloading a podcast (its happened automatically) and i find a podcast that is more interesting, how can i get that podcast to the top of the download list? Obviously not being able to cancel is an issue, but even if i could, how would i get a podcast to the top of the download list?


This comes back to the other issue, but it's definitely something I want to do (and will add to the list).

mike240se wrote:Question 1) Is it possible to just manually download any podcasts i want instead of automatically downloaing them? Is there "manual download" option for each episode if i set auto downloads to zero?


Yes (and no). There's UI for it in 1.5.11, but it doesn't work (shocking, I know). It does work, however, in 1.6.0 on the prelease site (http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/prerelease/). You can set the number of episodes to zero like you suggest and it won't download new ones automatically.


Hope this all helps, thanks for the feedback, keep it coming.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Re: Issues Found With 1.5.11

New postby marwatk on Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Just wanted to let you know that some of these are now in 1.6.5, which is in testing now.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey
 
Posts: 2596
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Re: Issues Found With 1.5.11

New postby mike240se on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm

great thanks marcus.

what about the ability to make certain podcasts a priority? was that added?

i find this situation ALOT:

podtrapper is downloading a 50mb file, which could take a long time.

while its doing that i look through the episodes of my podcasts and find a short podcast i want to hear bad! and its only 10MB!

so i add it, but i have no way to get it to download till the 50mb one that was already downloads is finished. and canceling it doesnt work either. but id rather not cancel it anyways, i just rather be able to either a) set priority or b) be able to select an episode in the download list and say download this now! and have it stop the 50mb download it is doing, download my 10mb podcast i want right away, and then when its done, start downloading the 50mb file again.
mike240se
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm

Re: Issues Found With 1.5.11

New postby mike240se on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:45 pm

I should have finished reading the release notes before i posted that message!!!!

Awesome! thanks so much for adding this feature! I needed it bad!
mike240se
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:40 pm


Return to Bugs and help

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

cron