Incomplete Downloads

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Incomplete Downloads

New postby haw338 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi All,

When downloading, the podcasts are updating fine, and it shows that they are 100% downloaded, but when playing them, there might only be a few seconds downloaded, or half of the podcast, or sometimes I actually get a full one. I have a BB 8330, and just got the program about a month ago and have had these problems regularly. Any Ideas? Thanks!
haw338

Re: Incomplete Downloads

New postby arkolbus on Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 pm

If you haven't already, try emailing your logs to Marcus (Menu -> Email Developer, click "Yes" when prompted to attach diagnostic logs). Make sure to do this after PT has been open and downloading files. I think that the logs are purged when you exit out of PT, and start fresh when you open it back up again.

Does this happen with a particular feed, or with all feeds? What's your download mechanism?
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby haw338 on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks for the help. It is happening with all feeds. I download over my cellphone network, which is Verizon. I travel in and out of cell phone coverage, but it happens even if I am in one spot for a day. I have it automatically update at midnight and I am not traveling then, and also have 3G at that point.
haw338

New postby arkolbus on Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:22 pm

Have you tried the desktop downloader?
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Hi Jason,

Got the logs, and it does look like every one is eventually finishing, but that they are taking multiple attempts to get the full thing. Usually this will work fine, but there are situations where the connection will receive garbage data when it goes south, which PodTrapper can't distinguish from real data. That garbage would cause corruption in the file, which makes the already finicky BBMP freak out.

There have been some significant improvements to failure handling in the latest PodTrapper betas, can you try the latest version and see if it helps at all?
http://ota.versatilemonkey.com/beta/

Another item is that although you have updates scheduled for midnight, if you don't have the 'Only download when charging' thing set it may actually resume a download at a later time in the day, when coverage is spottier. You may try setting that and see if you get an improvement.

Finally, as Andrew suggested, the desktop download is a way to ensure that it works, but it's definitely much less convenient.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help