Connecting via USB triggers "Update All"

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

Connecting via USB triggers "Update All"

New postby arkolbus on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:30 am

My download settings are set such that the only enabled connection type is USB. All my podcasts are set to update once daily (before I wake up), and can use the cell connection for updates. The podcasts update fine, and I am left with a list of episodes to download in my download queue (as would be expected). When I connect to my computer to download over USB, all my podcasts start updating again, even though it updated successfully a few hours earlier. Connecting via USB seems to trigger a full "Update All", regardless of whether or not an update has already been completed as scheduled.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Re: Connecting via USB triggers "Update All"

New postby marwatk on Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:47 pm

This was actually a feature request a while back, and made sense when you couldn't delineate between updates and episodes for downloaders, but doesn't make much sense if that option is on. I'll put a filter on it to not perform that action if updates are allowed over cellular.

Thanks for letting me know.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:13 pm

Why not just make it so that the podcast only auto-updates at the specified time, regardless of the download mechanism? It seems like you should be able to just push the update into the download queue at the specified time, and let the downloader handle it from there. I could see a situation where my PT is checking the feeds OTA and I connect over USB halfway through. The current behavior would be to update everything again, while your proposed behavior sounds like it wouldn't update the remaining podcasts. I could also imagine a situation when I don't have cell reception, so the podcasts wouldn't have updated by the time I connect to the computer, so the podcasts should be updated when I plug in over USB even though they're set to update OTA.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Well, the crux of the issue is that, for some users anyway, the time frames that they plug in via USB are haphazard, and when they were able to plug in they wanted to make sure they had the freshest copy possible while they were connected.

It's not really an issue of allowing the updates to download or not, but more of when they are scheduled. Currently when you plug in via USB it's equivalent to forcing a manual 'Update All'. The new behavior (2.6) only triggers an 'Update All' for any podcasts that aren't configured to update OTA. Any updates already in the queue are left alone in both scenarios.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby arkolbus on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:25 am

2.6 works great, issue fixed. I can see why some would want everything updated on a USB connection. Maybe the "Update All" trigger could be specified in options, either as a global or per-podcast setting.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

Return to Bugs and help