2.6.7: Delete below doesn't work properly

Go here if you're having an issue with Podtrapper.

2.6.7: Delete below doesn't work properly

New postby ofutur on Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:20 am

I often use the "delete below" feature to clean up my podcasts, but when I exit and reload PT, they come back and some are downloaded again because of the downloading rules.
ofutur

Re: 2.6.7: Delete below doesn't work properly

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:40 am

Hmm, are you holding alt to delete them? If not, when you delete, are they still then when you choose 'View Deleted'? Let me know...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:09 am

I'm not holding alt. I either press the delete button or select delete below.
Yes, they still show when I select view deleted. I doesn't do that with all my podcasts. I think only podcasts I've viewed in their entirety and deleted show. Most are not downloaded again, but some are.
ofutur

New postby ofutur on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:48 am

More info.
All the podcasts between the last played and the most current one automatically re-appear.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:58 pm

So when you 'View deleted' you see both the deleted one and the new one?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 am

When I "view deleted", I see everything, both the new ones and the deleted ones, but when I'm using the standard view, then old files I have deleted re-appear.

Let's say I'm subscribed to a daily podcast.
I viewed the one downloaded on the 8th, didn't watch the one that was downloaded on the 9th and the ones from the 10th and 11th were not downloaded, but still show up in the list.
Now on the 11th, I decide to delete the old ones, so I select "delete below". My list is now empty.
On the 12th, PT downloads the one from the 12th, but make the old ones re-appear and sometimes re-downloads an old one (depending on the rules).
In this case it would show the podcasts up to the 8th, the last viewed one. In some other cases, the number of podcasts that reappear would be the number of episodes to keep.

For me, if I select delete below, then I don't want any old episodes to reappear, not matter what my other rules are and I certainly don't want PT to start downloading old episodes again :)
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Hmm, but if you do that, then the 'New' versions of the old files show up in the same list as the 'Old' versions when you 'View Deleted'? (I'm just trying to figure out what's going on, since a 'Deleted' podcast really doesn't go anywhere, it's just hidden, so I'm trying to work out how it's ending up downloading them again. Does this only happen with certain podcasts?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 am

The downloading again is quite rare, although I quite often find duplicates (episodes downloaded twice) and it only happens with some podcasts. It's difficult to tell if more podcasts are affected since some only produce updates once a month.

If I delete files, they are hidden, I can see them with "view deleted". The next day, they are not hidden anymore.

I have to say, that I reboot once a day, so maybe that's what is affecting PT.
ofutur

New postby marwatk on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Ok, my hunch right now is that they're republished episodes. Sometimes feeds will alter the storage location of podcasts and as a result publish them again under the new URL. Can you take a look at two duplicate episodes and see if the URLs match exactly (as reported on the episode screen if you scroll down)?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby ofutur on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:08 am

I've just checked and it's true about the duplicate. The URL has changed. So I guess there is no solution for that :)
ofutur

New postby arkolbus on Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:57 am

ofutur wrote:I've just checked and it's true about the duplicate. The URL has changed. So I guess there is no solution for that :)

If each unique episode has a unique name, you can match duplicates by name/title rather than by URL (under podcast settings). Usually this will always be true if they use a serial number or include the full date in the episode title. That should fix the problem. However, if unique episodes sometimes share the same title, then this wont work.
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby ofutur on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:05 am

Thx for the tip, I will try that :). The only "problem" that I can see is if that they re-release an episode because of a problem. By selecting "name", I wouldn't get the new version unless a "check" is added against the date and a "switch" is added letting us decide whether or not to download a newer file.
ofutur

New postby arkolbus on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:03 am

ofutur wrote:Thx for the tip, I will try that :). The only "problem" that I can see is if that they re-release an episode because of a problem. By selecting "name", I wouldn't get the new version unless a "check" is added against the date and a "switch" is added letting us decide whether or not to download a newer file.

You're right, that could potentially be a problem. I've noticed that most of the time, re-releases are just re-uploaded by the publisher (replacing the original file and not creating another post), or are posted as a re-release and noted as such in the episode title.

I wonder if it's possible to still see duplicate episodes in the episode view, when all are shown, or if duplicates are filtered out before that stage. Marcus?
HTC Droid Incredible 2
Verizon Wireless
Android 2.3.3
Podtrapper 3.0.20
arkolbus

New postby marwatk on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 am

They're filtered out and treated as if they are the same data, so the title and description won't be updated (it's a short circuit to eliminate processing of most episodes, since we already have a record of them).

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help