Some bugs and annoying things

Some bugs and annoying things

New postby PhamO on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:02 am

This is the app I have been looking fora long time but I found a few bug at the get-go.

Using Google search at the homepage it try to search for "cake" and it ended up using "search" as the word I'm looking for.

From searching from Wikipedia is fine but once you hit the end-key it brings you back to the homepage with three options menu open and the keyboard open and will not go away.(a battery pull got it to leave)

Taking a photo form the home page I get an Error "javax.microditiion.media.MediaExecption: Requested format not supported" after a new message shows up "When taking a picture getSnapshot returned null" This shows up in the log as well.

From the app screen hitting the end key, the three options menu up and hitting the end key will open this menu as many times as you hit it, also you have to use the back key to make it go away that many times as you hit the end key, I find this annoying. It should only open when you hit the end-key twice from the homepage and can be closed when you hit the end-key once

I"m running this app on a Blackberry Storm 9530 World Edition, OS 5.0.0.419 (platform 4.2.0.179) with Telus.

I hoped this help somewhat, and if you need any more info o about my phone just ask.
(also posted on crack berry.com)
PhamO

Re: Some bugs and annoying things

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 am

Hi PhamO,

PhamO wrote:Using Google search at the homepage it try to search for "cake" and it ended up using "search" as the word I'm looking for.

Yeah, my default entry is broken. If you edit the popup menu and fix the 'Search' drop down it should fix it.

PhamO wrote:From searching from Wikipedia is fine but once you hit the end-key it brings you back to the homepage with three options menu open and the keyboard open and will not go away.(a battery pull got it to leave)

Hmm, the escape key didn't work there? That may be a bug.

PhamO wrote:From the app screen hitting the end key, the three options menu up and hitting the end key will open this menu as many times as you hit it, also you have to use the back key to make it go away that many times as you hit the end key, I find this annoying. It should only open when you hit the end-key twice from the homepage and can be closed when you hit the end-key once

Ack, thanks.

Let me know if you find anything else.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby PhamO on Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:53 am

Yup, I just found out that editing the pop up menu and fix the 'Search' drop down it should fixed it (about 2mins after my 1st post)

An other one I found is that when you open three options menu from the homepage that you can use your convinces key and phone key but the menu is still there, I think opening an other app should close the menu.

Also for the weather app it would be nice if you can switch from imperial system to metric system and back (Via - Side Menu or make setting page where you can pick for everything) and if the days of the week where space out by lines or put in columns going down or across.

The tip calculator should have that you can input any amount as the tip. (Make it fun, so you can add like 500% or 1000% as the tip)

The "run on schedule app" will not run two apps placed on the same time such as the BB alarm and BB browser. (only two apps i have tested so far) And short timing with two apps , I tested about a 1 min gap will cause only the 1st one open as well.

Still testing the rest of this app, Once this app is bug free I ill hands down buy it, if its under $7.
PhamO

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:00 pm

PhamO wrote:An other one I found is that when you open three options menu from the homepage that you can use your convinces key and phone key but the menu is still there, I think opening an other app should close the menu.

Agreed.

PhamO wrote:Also for the weather app it would be nice if you can switch from imperial system to metric system and back (Via - Side Menu or make setting page where you can pick for everything) and if the days of the week where space out by lines or put in columns going down or across.

Already on my list :)

PhamO wrote:The tip calculator should have that you can input any amount as the tip. (Make it fun, so you can add like 500% or 1000% as the tip)

Will do...

PhamO wrote:The "run on schedule app" will not run two apps placed on the same time such as the BB alarm and BB browser. (only two apps i have tested so far) And short timing with two apps , I tested about a 1 min gap will cause only the 1st one open as well.

Thanks, will get this one fixed as well.

PhamO wrote:Still testing the rest of this app, Once this app is bug free I ill hands down buy it, if its under $7.

Great! I'm glad people are liking it. I'm targeting $4.99, hopefully everyone thinks that's reasonable. Keep the bug reports coming...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby PhamO on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:10 pm

I'm liking this app even with all the bugs and the $4.99 price tag just made it better.
PhamO

New postby PhamO on Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

When I was trying to delete a "bookmark" in the "home screen Bookmarks" I get this "Error deleting Bookmark: java.lang.illegalArgumentException" and trying to delete other bookmarks under the first one the selection jumps back to the top bookmark and has the same error.

When I add the BB "Compose" to the pop up menu and tried to run it i got this "Error running menu item! net.rim.decive.api.system.ApplicationMangerException: Error starting null: null"

This Error also shows when "altMusic, altPictures, altVideos", "Files" "Music" "net_rim_bb_clock" "Pictures" "SavedMessages" "Videos" apps ( the stander BB app but not all of them got the error) are added and try to started up. The"calcuator" was the same but this was only once the error came up and now it work fine and the error seems to be gone (I will have to do a batter pull to see if this will show up once more)

If i have time later on I'll make a video of all of the stuff I have found for you if that will help.
PhamO

New postby marwatk on Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Thanks, the bookmark error I have fixed over here. It's a single bug causing a lot of problems.

The compose thing is also a bug, I should have that fixed tonight as well.

I don't think a video is necessary. Let's wait until tomorrow and if there are still issues I may have you do it.

Thanks again for all the help.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby PhamO on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:36 am

I have been testing v0.1.4, other than "Error running menu item! net.rim.decive.api.system.ApplicationMangerException: Error starting null: null" from adding the BB stander app to the popup menu and try running it, and how the menu from the homepage, that you can use your convinces key and phone key but the menu is still there, it seems really nice now.

One thing I have found that "taking a picture" after it takes the photo the screen goes all black and you have to exit the app or from the homepage you have to go to the app page to restore the screen.

Also just to ask for the "Find a Bug, Get it Free", out of everything I found, did any of them count to this offer? Just asking :P
PhamO

New postby marwatk on Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:46 am

Hmm, I thought I fixed the bb standard apps thing in the popup menu. I'll install your simulator and see what I can find. Can you give me a few apps specifically that cause it? I know you listed them before but I just wanted to make sure the new version has the same ones.

PhamO wrote:One thing I have found that "taking a picture" after it takes the photo the screen goes all black and you have to exit the app or from the homepage you have to go to the app page to restore the screen.

If you hold the menu key to bring up the list of app does it still show the take a picture app in there after its closed?

You're on my bug report list many times, so you're definitely getting a copy :)

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby PhamO on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:49 pm

[quote="marwatk"]If you hold the menu key to bring up the list of app does it still show the take a picture app in there after its closed?/quote]

The screen is restored when I did that but using the "take a picture" from the home screen (via pop up menu) it still goes black.

Also the app I fore the Errors are BB's : "Compose", "altMusic, altPictures, altVideos", "Files" "Music" "net_rim_bb_clock" "Pictures" "SavedMessages" and "Videos" apps

Other than that I haven't found anything new, I'll keep on testing today.
PhamO

New postby PhamO on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:01 pm

Hey Marwatk

I got the newest V-tool going and I found the same bug from 0.1.3 (the 1st one I helped out on) " From searching from Wikipedia is fine but once you hit the end-key it brings you back to the homepage with three options menu open and the keyboard open and will not go away.(a battery pull got it to leave) " this one is back and its with Google this time
PhamO

New postby marwatk on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Yeah, it's been a bit of a thorn in my side. I'm working on the detection of that better, still don't have anything ready to go yet, though. If you were wondering, the bugs in .4-.10 with popups were all because of my attempts at detecting when I should/shouldn't show that popup. Since it's a global screen it's really hard to tell when it's being displayed and when it's closed, etc...

I have another stab at it in 0.1.13, so you'll have to let me know...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help