a few issues

a few issues

New postby kameleon on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:31 pm

I know that the reboot feature is an "experimental" one, but it worked on my phone (bold 9000) running 5.0.0.411. However when I upgraded to 5.0.0.464, and now 5.0.0.509, that feature now requires a confirmation. Others running this same OS version state that they are having issues with other programs that support the reboot function and that it is something that changed in the OS on how it handles the reboot. Do you think you will be looking at this issue and possibly making changes to accommodate those of us running the newer OS?

Secondly, I have noticed that when I setup a program to start on boot sometimes I have two of the same listings in the selection. Like say I want Gmail to start on boot. I click the dropdown box and there is 2 entries for Gmail. One will work (usually the second one) and the other won't.

I must say these are the only issues I have since the initial few versions. VersaTool is getting to be very feature rich. I look forward to seeing what it is capable of.
kameleon

Re: a few issues

New postby marwatk on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:43 pm

kameleon wrote:I know that the reboot feature is an "experimental" one, but it worked on my phone (bold 9000) running 5.0.0.411. However when I upgraded to 5.0.0.464, and now 5.0.0.509, that feature now requires a confirmation. Others running this same OS version state that they are having issues with other programs that support the reboot function and that it is something that changed in the OS on how it handles the reboot. Do you think you will be looking at this issue and possibly making changes to accommodate those of us running the newer OS?

Unfortunately there's no way to get around that confirmation window on the newer OS versions, but happily it should still work under a timer, only 10 minutes delayed. (That popup will automatically reboot the device after 10 minutes if you haven't selected anything). Does that work?

kameleon wrote:Secondly, I have noticed that when I setup a program to start on boot sometimes I have two of the same listings in the selection. Like say I want Gmail to start on boot. I click the dropdown box and there is 2 entries for Gmail. One will work (usually the second one) and the other won't.

Yeah, unfortunately for this one there's no way for VersaTool to know which is which, so it's kind of a trial and error thing. For popular apps I'll probably hard code some settings in there, so if you see it let me know and I'll try to put a case in there for them.

Let me know if you run into any other issues...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
For more/quicker help make sure to check out the user manuals
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby kameleon on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:18 am

marwatk wrote:
kameleon wrote:I know that the reboot feature is an "experimental" one, but it worked on my phone (bold 9000) running 5.0.0.411. However when I upgraded to 5.0.0.464, and now 5.0.0.509, that feature now requires a confirmation. Others running this same OS version state that they are having issues with other programs that support the reboot function and that it is something that changed in the OS on how it handles the reboot. Do you think you will be looking at this issue and possibly making changes to accommodate those of us running the newer OS?

Unfortunately there's no way to get around that confirmation window on the newer OS versions, but happily it should still work under a timer, only 10 minutes delayed. (That popup will automatically reboot the device after 10 minutes if you haven't selected anything). Does that work?

So you are saying that if I have my phone reboot at 5am it should automatically reboot at 5:10am if I don't hit anything? That is not the case as I have my alarm set to go off at 5:45am and it is still sitting there waiting for me to choose something. It is not a huge deal, just something that would be nice to have working so I could start the day afresh.

marwatk wrote:
kameleon wrote:Secondly, I have noticed that when I setup a program to start on boot sometimes I have two of the same listings in the selection. Like say I want Gmail to start on boot. I click the dropdown box and there is 2 entries for Gmail. One will work (usually the second one) and the other won't.

Yeah, unfortunately for this one there's no way for VersaTool to know which is which, so it's kind of a trial and error thing. For popular apps I'll probably hard code some settings in there, so if you see it let me know and I'll try to put a case in there for them.

Let me know if you run into any other issues...

-Marcus

When I first installed VT it only showed one entry for Gmail. I think somewhere around .19 it started getting two entries. Where does it get the information for that list? I only show one in my applications list under the OS options.

Thanks!
kameleon

New postby marwatk on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 pm

kameleon wrote:So you are saying that if I have my phone reboot at 5am it should automatically reboot at 5:10am if I don't hit anything? That is not the case as I have my alarm set to go off at 5:45am and it is still sitting there waiting for me to choose something. It is not a huge deal, just something that would be nice to have working so I could start the day afresh.

Hmm, it should, but I haven't verified on every OS. So you're running 5.0.0.509 now? Did it do the same thing on 464? I'm not sure I can test on those ones (they haven't released simulators for them yet). Can you copy down exactly what the dialog says that pops up?

kameleon wrote:When I first installed VT it only showed one entry for Gmail. I think somewhere around .19 it started getting two entries. Where does it get the information for that list? I only show one in my applications list under the OS options.

It used to filter out 'system' modules, but it turns out a lot of apps use the 'system' flag for the whole app, so I was filtering out some valid apps.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby kameleon on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 am

marwatk wrote:
kameleon wrote:So you are saying that if I have my phone reboot at 5am it should automatically reboot at 5:10am if I don't hit anything? That is not the case as I have my alarm set to go off at 5:45am and it is still sitting there waiting for me to choose something. It is not a huge deal, just something that would be nice to have working so I could start the day afresh.

Hmm, it should, but I haven't verified on every OS. So you're running 5.0.0.509 now? Did it do the same thing on 464? I'm not sure I can test on those ones (they haven't released simulators for them yet). Can you copy down exactly what the dialog says that pops up?

Yes, I am running .509 now and did the same exact thing on .464. However .411 was fine. Alot changed from .411 to .464. Below is a screenshot I took of the error message (using the VT screenshot utility nonetheless ;) Thanks for that)

It doesn't always default to the buttons being selected either. If it did, it would be easy to program the timer to hit the Restart Now button I would think.

Also, I found another possible bug... well more of an annoyance. When I set the phone to go into standby on backlight off in the events section it does go into standby properly, but once I hit the MUTE button I get this on the screen:

Not a huge deal, and nothing is affected that I can tell. I can just click OK and go about my business. This also may be due to the new "lock/standby" feature as opposed to the old just "lock" way of doing things. Which by the way, the OS versions since 5.0.0.464 do away with the lock as we knew it and change to the above mentioned hybrid lock/standby.

Thanks for making a great program. Did you get my PM about the registration on 2-16?
kameleon

New postby marwatk on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:22 am

Hmm, sounds like I need to get my hands on a 464 or higher OS.

That's the issue with the 'unofficial features', sadly. They all rely on quirks and hacks to work properly, so when RIM goes and changes stuff they break. I'll see what I can do to keep them working...

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby kameleon on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 am

marwatk wrote:Hmm, sounds like I need to get my hands on a 464 or higher OS.

That's the issue with the 'unofficial features', sadly. They all rely on quirks and hacks to work properly, so when RIM goes and changes stuff they break. I'll see what I can do to keep them working...

-Marcus

You ROCK! I have both .464 and .509 if you need the installable OS to play with and don't want to deal with megaupload or rapidshare. ;) Thanks for all you do for the community.
kameleon

New postby marwatk on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Just an update. So I borrowed a friend's 8900 and installed .509 on it, and making reboot work may be a bit of a pain. Just wanted to prepare you that it may take a while since I don't have a device that can run time yet (and will probably have to wait until I have one). So if you see a leak for 9700, 9530 or 8330 let me know...

For that standby thing, do you have event injection enabled for versatool?

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

New postby kameleon on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 pm

No rush on the reboot deal. I mean it is an "unsupported" deal anyways. ;) I do appreciate everything you have done so far. As for the leaks, I know we won't ever see any for the 8330 unfortunately due to it not having enough memory to run os5 or something like that. So if I get a new 9700 I could lend you my 9000 to work on if you want.

And for the injection deal, everything is set to "Allow" in the permissions.
kameleon

New postby kameleon on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am

There is a leak for 5.0.0.536 on the 9700 if you think that it would be the same/similar to the .509 I am using. Details on this link:
http://crackberry.com/leaked-os-5-0-0-5 ... -bold-9700
kameleon

New postby marwatk on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:26 pm

Yep, got it today so I can start playing around this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

-Marcus
Versatile Monkey
marwatk
Lead (and only) Monkey

Return to Bugs and help